Skip to content

Change of Personal or Program Information

When the International Center issued your immigration document, we did so based on very specific information provided by you and your school, department, or program. Therefore, if anything changes, the International Center needs to be notified in advance so that we can advise you appropriately and update your documents when required.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR LEGAL NAME (report within 10 days)

You must report any change of address or residence to the International Center within 10 days of the change. This information will then be sent electronically to the Department of Homeland Security.  You can report address changes directly into Self-Service which the International Center will update on your SEVIS record.  

If you change your name, you must report it to the Office of the Registrar and the International Center and provide legal documentation that reflects the name change. If the name(s) of your dependents change, please report this to the International Center along with documentation of the name change.


Please contact the International Center with a copy of your passport and other documentation regarding this change. 


You must also obtain a new I-20 or DS-2019 if your source of funding changes (e.g. from scholarship to parents).  Please email the International Center ( with any changes. 


You must obtain a new I-20 or DS-2019 if you change from one major/field of study to another (e.g. from chemical engineering to physics).


Education level refers to the level of an academic program of study (i.e., bachelor’s, master’s, language training, doctoral, etc.) and is indicated on your current immigration document (item 4 on I-20 or section 4 of DS-2019).  If there will be a change in your education level, (i.e. from Bachelor's to Master's), you must obtain a new I-20 or DS-2019.  

If you have been admitted to a new academic program at the University of Hartford, you will work with the Admissions Office to request your new I-20 or DS-2019.