Skip to content

Social Security

Any international student who is employed by an academic or administrative department or office of the University of Hartford is required to have a social security number.

A U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) is a nine-digit number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration. It is used as a personal identification number by all government and most commercial institutions in the United States. 

A SSN does not authorize you to work in the US.  It simply provides identification for you to be paid in the US and for your employer to deduct the appropriate taxes on behalf of the IRS (US Internal Revenue Service). 

Please note: You cannot request a SSN to open a US bank account, buy a cell phone, or rent an apartment.  Many times a SSN is requested in order to perform a financial credit history check, but you will only be eligible for a SSN if you have authorization to work in the US

  • You have been authorized by the International Center to begin an on-campus job
  • You have been granted Academic Training (AT) employment authorization for off-campus work
J-1 Students NOT sponsored by UHart should consult with your J1 Exchange Program Sponsor to ask about whether you are eligible for work and how to obtain authorization. 

J-1 Scholars Sponsored by UHart
You are eligible for US employment as reflected on your DS-2019 and can apply for a SSN at any time up to 15 days prior to the end date on your DS 2019.

How to Apply
In order to apply for a SSN, you must be authorized for CPT or employed on-campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the semester and maximum of 40 hours per week during breaks.

If you are applying for OPT authorization, you have the option to concurrently file your Social Security Application with your employment authorization request on the Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization.
  1. Collect employment verification.
    • Have your supervisor complete an on-campus employment form OR
    • Request a job offer letter (Required for CPT Authorization)
  2. Request a letter from the International Center
    • You may do so in person or by emailing
    • You will need to submit your employment verification (#1) to make this request
  3. Gather your documents to visit the Social Security Office
    • Application for a Social Security Card
    • Passport
    • I-20
    • · I-94 (You may print your I-94 here)
    • 1 piece of mail dated within the last 30 days
    • Letter from the International Center (#2) which will include your employment verification from #1
  4. Visit the Social Security Office
    • Once you have all the required documentation, you must go to the Social Security Office located at 960 Main St., Hartford, CT 06106
    • Your Social Security Card will be mailed to you within 2-3 weeks
Note: We recommend that you do not apply for a SSN until you have been physically present in the US for a minimum of ten days. The Social Security Administration must receive data from DHS verifying your legal status in the US.
For additional information, please visit the Social Security Administration website: