Skip to content

How to Request Sprintax Software

All students who were present in the U.S. for any length of time during the 2022 calendar year, are required by the IRS to submit a tax filing for 2022 tax year.    Filing deadline is April 18, 2023.

Please scroll down and read all content below. 

Some of you have started receiving some tax forms for the 2022 tax filing season, we ask that you review the information below as you are required to submit your taxes on a yearly basis.   A good resource to understanding your tax obligations is to attend one of the many Tax Information Webinars being offered by Sprintax (details will be shared soon).   Here’s a link to a blog about your tax obligations.  Click here.

Do I need to submit a tax filing for 2022?

Yes.  All international students who were in the United States for any length of time during 2022, are responsible for filing the appropriate tax forms for the 2022 tax year. 

Everyone must file Form 8843.
You might have need to file the Federal Form 1040NR and a State Form 1040NR  for 2022 tax year if you have received sources of income from an U.S. institution (non-tuition scholarship awards, gains for stock sales).
Read this blog to understand your tax obligations.  Click here.

Please remember to always keep copies of all the documents and forms you submit for filing, as well as proof that you sent in the forms to the IRS.
Send your 2022 tax filing documents before April 18th, 2023.   If you send after this date, you might incur tax penalties if the filing determines that you owe taxes. 

Why do I have to file a tax return?

It is a legal requirement of the United States. 
Failure to file tax paperwork may impact the current status of your visa and make future visa applications difficult.
Failure to file tax paperwork may also result in monetary penalties.
You may be owed a tax refund – this is not a guarantee for every student. 

How do I file my tax return?

The filing process can be difficult and overwhelming.  We highly suggest using a tax preparation service such as Sprintax, that is familiar with your F-1 status tax obligations.   Do not use TurboTax or any popular tax preparation services unless you determine that you should file as a resident for tax purposes. 

The University of Hartford will be offering a limited number of $5 access codes for Federal Tax preparation through Sprintax.

Sprintax is an online software that specializes in tax preparation services for international students.  You can find out more about their services through their free webinars.
Once our limited $5 discounted access codes run out, you can still to sign up and pay the regular rates (starting at $51.95) for their service through their website:  
Please note, you should start with the Federal Tax form service first.  Depending on your situation, you will find out if you also need to sign up for the State Tax form service which will result in an additional fee starting at $44.95. 

As mentioned earlier, the university has a limited number of discounted access codes to the Federal Tax Preparation service for the cost of $5.  Please stop by the International Center at GSU 309 to purchase the code with $5 cash.  

You can also choose to go to a tax preparation company for a fee, however, make sure the tax preparer understands your status as an international student on F-1 Visa.   Please note, the majority of F1 students are not eligible to use the popular TurboTax software/online service which is only for those that qualify as tax residents.  
You also have the option to file your taxes on your own using the forms in the links below, but you might find the process quite confusing and unclear. 

FORM 8843 - Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition

All F-1 students need to file Form 8843 regardless if they received income.
Even if you did not work or received any type of income (non-tuition scholarship, capital gain) in the U.S. during 2021, you still need to file the Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition - Form 8843 for 2022.
In addition to FORM 8843, you may need to also file the Federal 1040NR and the State 1040NR.  Read below.


If you received income in the U.S. during 2022, you must file a 1040NR (1040NR Instructions).  Do not use the 1040NR-EZ form as this has been discontinued.

After you completed the Federal Tax Forms and depending on your individual situation, you might also need to file a State Tax form. 


If you earned taxable income in the U.S. during 2022 you may also need to file state tax for the respective state in which you worked.  For example, if you worked on a paid internship in Indiana over the summer you will need to file the appropriate paperwork for Indiana state tax returns. For information on Connecticut State tax filing, see the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services website

You will need to fill out the CT-1040NR/PY for 2022 form, make sure you read the instruction booklet prior to filling out the form. 
If you have income for 2022 coming from states other than Connecticut you must research the tax policies/procedures for the state from which you received the taxable income.

BE ADVISED: Other than providing this information the International Center cannot answer any questions in regard to filing your taxes. Our staff are not trained accountants and, legally, we cannot advise you through the filing process. We can only provide you with links to the appropriate sources and forms. All tax questions must be directed to a professional.