Skip to content

Maintaining Immigration Status

As an international student, you must follow the laws established by the United States Department of Homeland Security, as well as those established by the University of Hartford, in regard to your visa status.  Your legal status is very important and it is your responsibility.  The International Center at the University of Hartford is here to help and assist; however, you must maintain your legal status.  Falling out of status will make your student visa invalid, prohibit you from working, and you may need to leave the U.S. or apply for reinstatement. 

Below are some simple steps you can take to ensure that your stay in the U.S. remains valid:
  • Enroll as a full-time student each Fall & Spring semester. 
    • The minimum per semester is:
      • Undergraduates: 12 credits           
      • Graduates: 9 credits (some doctorate programs are full-time at 6 credits)
      • Summer and Winter terms are optional 
  • If you must drop below full-time enrollment, you will first need to request approval and permission from the International Center.
  • You may enroll in only ONE online 3-credit class per semester that counts towards the full-time enrollment requirement.    
  • You must be making satisfactory progress towards the completion of your degree program.  Repeated failures or withdrawals can impact your immigration status.  
  • You must have prior authorization before accepting employment off-campus.  Once authorized, your employment must be related to your field of study.
  • If approved to work on-campus, you may not work more than 20 hours per week (with the exception of during official university breaks and vacations). 
  • You must update via Self-Service any changes to your local US address or phone within 10 days after the change.  
  • If needed, you must apply for an I-20 or DS-2019 program extension before the current end date listed on your I-20/DS-2019.  
  • If you wish to transfer your SEVIS record to another institution, you must notify the International Center before or during your 60 day grace period (for F-1 students) or 30 day grace period (for J-1 students).  After your grace period ends, your record will be completed (no longer active status).