Skip to content

Program Extension


If you cannot complete your program of study as expected and need additional time for completion, you must apply for a program extension prior to the the expiration date on your I-20 or DS-2019.  You will need the approval of your academic advisor and the International Center.    You can start this process by logging in and navigating to Student Requests.  Extension requests should be submitted no later than 30 days prior to the expiration date of the I-20 or DS-2019.  

PLEASE NOTE: The extension procedure will extend your I-20/DS-2019 but not your visa stamp. If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, you are permitted to remain in the US. with a valid I-20. The next time, however, you travel out of the US and need to re-enter, you will still need to apply for a new visa stamp at a US Consulate prior to your return to the US.